Thursday, September 23, 2010

Good Intentions Don't Help Overwhelmed

There are so many things that I "intend" to do. Yes, they're on the to-do list but seem to get transferred to the next to-do list. Most days I'm trying to keep up let alone get to the extra things I'd like to do.
I'm grateful there are men/women that are willing to coach my kids teams. Scout leaders that watch out and help my sons get their badges. Teachers that help my children push themselves and succeed. As for me, I'm glad everyone is in bed and it's finally quiet.
As I look around my house there are so many veggies(also known as my green things) that have taken over my kitchen table that I need to tend to. Bags of clothes that need to be taken to the thrift store and donated. Laundry bins of the boys clothes that they need to be motivated to fold and put away. It goes on and on from there with dishes, dusty shelves and floors that desperately need to be mopped. Although, I did get my droopy plant watered and it's looking much more perky.
Most days I don't have the energy or desire to clean for hours on end. After the kids get home from school I end up spending most of the time in my car driving kids to and from various activities while cooking dinner in the spare moments. By 8pm it's time to make sure everyone has eaten, all homework has been corrected, kids showered, reading time, tying up loose ends with the kids, scripture and prayer. All accomplished by 9:00 bedtime 9:15 lights out. My kids should probably be in bed by 8 but I never get it all done to send them to bed at 8.
That leaves the morning when Colten is in Kindergarten, after lunch before the kids get home at 3 or late at night when they're all in bed. Since I'm a terrible morning person (think trying to take steak away from a hungry bear) that time is ruled out. I absolutely love going back to bed and sleeping in for a while. Add a diet coke on that and you get a happy mom. Some things I do get done in the afternoon like feeding/watering the chickens, picking my green things, running to the store. That doesn't leave hours for cleaning the house. Now all I'm left with is cleaning late into the night. I don't mind cleaning late at night. But by the time the kids are put to bed, leftovers are in the fridge and living room floor is picked up it's after 10pm. I'm EXHAUSTED!
These next 2 days I have already given my kids a heads up that mama is cleaning. I'm throwing crap away. The clutter is leaving my home. The kids are on their own for dinner cuz cleaning is my focus. I'll probably work myself into the ground and sleep all day Sunday but darn it, my house won't drive my crazy anymore.
Maybe next week I'll be able to get around to doing things I've intended to do, like fix my broken freezer so we can put all the food back into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment