Friday, September 17, 2010

Boy oh Boy

There are some phrases that I'm positive my mom never said to us girls:

"There will be NO light sabers at the dinner table."

"We are not running wind-sprints in the livingroom."

"No, you may not take your sword to t-ball practice."

"Please take your cape off your head for family prayer."

"Yes, girls fart to but they don't think it's funny."

Raising kids can be a difficult job. Boys are much different than girls and need different parenting. Boys are rough and tough and very physical. Girls are more emotionally led.
My boys are fun and I try hard to raise them with an awareness of always trying to be a gentleman. Someone told me that a true gentleman isn't seen anymore. I beg to differ. I have 4 little gentlemen in my house. They carry groceries, open doors and offer assistance to other women in public. I true gentleman is taught by his mother, in my opinion. If I don't require them to treat me like a lady then how are they going to learn to treat other women? My boys are also expected to treat their sisters like ladies. And my daughters are in the process of learning how to be a lady.
I do have moments when I see my little gentlemen emerge without a little coaxing from mom. My daughter was getting ready for dance and was struggling with putting on her ballet skirt. One of my sons walked over to her and offered to help her put it on since he'd seen mom do it a hundred time. He walked her thru the process and proceeded to tie her ballet skirt on offering to help again. That's my gentleman in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment