Saturday, April 23, 2011

Fairy Tale Creatures as Adults



As a child, I loved playing princesses and assorted fairy tale creatures. It was fun to pretend and make-believe. As an adult, not so much. The part of being the adult I don't enjoy is being obligated to be the make-believe creatures.


I HATE the tooth fairy! A close second is the Easter Bunny. Thank heavens I don't have to be Smokey Bear or I might jump off a cliff. Santa is a marginally different matter. He, I can handle.


I am a terrible tooth fairy and have forgotten multiple nights in a row. I'm much better at handing them a dollar when the tooth falls out. When my oldest lost his first tooth I was going to do it differently. He got a box of crayons, no money here! The next one he got a coloring book. It seemed to work out pretty well until he went to preschool and another child received money. His gifts, tho more expensive, we're NOT cool. I'm still a cheap fairy and refuse shell out more than a dollar for any tooth. And, I won't pull them. It gives me the creeps when they come out in my fingers. Being obligated to sneak into the bedroom at night, find the tooth that hasn't stayed under the pillow, replace with a dollar, adequately dispose of the tooth, then head to bed, just doesn't excite me. By the time all the kids are asleep, the last thing I want to do is pretend to be fairy.


The bunny has to be a close second due to the fact it's only once a year. I love Easter weekend because it was always a holiday I could spend at home with my kids. Over the years that's changed. I love the meaning of Easter and the resurrection. But why the silly rabbit? Dying the eggs and a hunt is fun. But again with the creature! I'm not a big fan of loads of candy. With 6 kids that's a whole lot of sugar and hyper energy. Not to mention money that's quickly ingested. Once my kids got a little older we moved away from the traditional baskets and Easter clothes. In years past they've gotten camp chairs, pillows and sheets, sunglasses and mugs. This year I ran out of ideas. Today I had to make a run to Family Dollar and see what I could scrape up. The pressure to be a "good" bunny is ridiculous. But, I think I pulled it off.


Easter this year consists of: a new laundry basket, water balloons, chapstick, squirt gun, goggles, a 2 liter of soda, cheese balls and a few chocolate candies. Nothing riveting but all things I don't usually buy.


The unfortunate part of tonight is that I have to be BOTH creatures. Oh yes, we had to lose a tooth today too.

No comments:

Post a Comment