Thursday, November 18, 2010

Confirmed Craziness

As I was diving into the daunting task of organizing Kanab Boys Youth Basketball, I asked my mom, "Am I crazy?" Her response was priceless. "Ya but now you're just manufacturing reasons to be crazy." Yup, thanks mom! I've manufactured a good one this time!

There are 2 main reasons I do this to myself every year.
The first being that I really enjoy basketball. I've grown up in a gym and love the sounds and smells. There's nothing quite as exciting as a great shot in the last minutes of a game. A good man on man defense is fun. Can I play the game? Definitely not! I'm terrible, really, terrible. Although I do have great technique. Can I coach the game? Yup. Been there. Done that. Loved it.
The second reason is that I have a lot of my Dad in me. No matter how busy he was, he wouldn't want a kid to miss out on an opportunity. I want the 130 boys that signed up this year to have a great time and learn to love the game. The boys deserve an opportunity to succeed.

This is where I start manufacturing my craziness. I'm a little (ahem, a lot) OCD about organization. I have a file box that is ONLY for basketball. In my box are few manila folders containing a mirage of things. All registration papers are done by alphabetical order in each grade. Practice schedules, volunteers, team rosters, insurance, Jazz contacts are included in these manila folders. Ok, maybe I have more than just a few folders. All of the information that I have must be shared in a clearly organized manner. This is just the paperwork part of it.
Now we move into the gym. The coaches that have so gracefully volunteered must feel at ease as things run smoothly. Every night I close up the gym, the floor must be swept. Once a week the bleachers are pushed in and swept. I know how much it costs to refinish a gym floor so we keep it as nice as possible. Besides, it was fun to sweep the gym floor as a little girl. My dad taught me that's what you do before leaving the gym, so that's what I do.

Tonight I had a few people thank me for stepping up to the plate and running the league again. Honestly, I kinda like it. It's my way to give back to the community and kids. I'm grateful I have a reason to be crazy. Thru basketball I feel very connected to my dad. It's a game he loved so dearly and I can be a part of him.

If you see me around town and I'm disheveled, haven't showered in days, and babble at you, please remember that I'm a little basketball crazy. Give me a week or 2 and I'll come around.

No comments:

Post a Comment